KeepKey is a hardware wallet that secures Bitcoin and altcoins. Find out everything you need to know about the popular hardware wallet today in our review.
What Is KeepKey?
KeepKey, along with Ledger and Trezor’s hardware wallets, is one of most popular hardware wallets available today. KeepKey is simple, nondescript, and priced at a reasonable rate. It promises to offer bank-grade security for your Bitcoin, Ethereum, Litecoin, Dogecoin, Dash, and Namecoin.
KeepKey is sold for around $100. It’s slightly cheaper than Trezor and more expensive than the Ledger Nano wallets. With that in mind, let’s take a closer look at the features and tech specs behind KeepKey.
Bank-Grade Security: KeepKey makes a big deal out of the fact that its security is so easy that “even your grandmother can protect her bitcoin wealth”. You basically just plug the KeepKey wallet into your computer (using the included micro-USB cable), then fire up the Chrome extension and transfer your BTC.
Backup & Recovery:
When you setup your KeepKey for the first time, you receive one opportunity to write down a backup of your KeepKey in the form of a 12 word recovery sentence. If you ever lose or lose access to your KeepKey, you can use that recovery sentence to recover your cryptocurrencies without compromising the security of your private keys.
“Virus and Malware Proof”:
KeepKey specifically advertises the fact that its wallet is virus and malware proof. That’s because the device does not have an operating system – so known viruses and malware can’t target KeepKey.
Supports Multiple Currencies:
KeepKey supports Bitcoin and a number of other cryptocurrencies, including Ethereum, Litecoin, Namecoin, Dogecoin, Dash, and Testnet.
Supports Multiple Systems:
KeepKey works on PC, Mac, Linux, and Android. It’s a USB-HID device, which means it works in a similar way to an ordinary mouse or keyboard. You don’t even need to install a driver. Your KeepKey purchase comes with a USB cable.
KeepKey Tech Specs
- Material: Anodized aluminum case, polycarbonate front
- Interface: USB HID
- Connectivity: Micro-USB connector
- Processor: ARM Cortex M3
- Security: TRNG (Hardware-Based Random Number Generator)
- Display: 256×64 3.12” OLED
- Dimensions: 38mm x 93.5mm x 12.2mm
Included in the KeepKey box is your KeepKey device, a woven nylon USB cable, and a recovery sentence backup card.
KeepKey is very well-reviewed among Amazon users, where it currently has an average rating of 4.5 stars out of 5 with 200+ reviews. Here are some of the pros and cons from real customers:
- Very easy to use, turnkey solution (just download the Chrome extension, throw some BTC on it, unplug, and forget about it)
- Works easily across PC and Mac
- Comes with a nice USB cord (covered in Nylon for extra protection)
- Many customers agree that the company behind KeepKey has excellent customer support
- Well worth the investment if you’re deciding whether or not to keep your BTC in an online exchange wallet
- Sturdy and robust device
- Readable display
- Innocent looking device (looks like a basic external hard drive), which can deter theft
- Supports multiple alt coins
- KeepKey was originally priced at $236 on Amazon, so some of the early reviews complained about the high price point
- You’ll need to use Chrome to access KeepKey (it’s a simple Chrome extension that works across Macs and PCs)
KeepKey is one of the most popular hardware wallets available today. The wallet is popular among all types of Bitcoin users – from newbies to enthusiasts to active traders.
Active traders will enjoy the ease of transfer and ease of use – you just connect KeepKey to your computer, open up the Chrome extension, and transfer Bitcoin to/from the wallet before disconnecting.
Many people also appreciate the addition of the 12 word recovery phrase, which can give you peace of mind if you’re the type of person to lose your wallet or worry about it being stolen.
Overall, KeepKey provides great value for a $100 investment. It’s about the same price as higher-end options like Trezor, and provides all of the functionality you need inside a sleek, easy-to-use package.